As a hiring manager, boss, or CEO, it’s your responsibility to assess what qualifies as a good cultural fit for your organization. Ideally you will find candidates whose values, behaviours, qualifications, and ethics align with the organization’s priorities. The most successful hires will fit both the job and the workplace culture.
First, what are some examples of cultural fit in the workplace?
- An employee who prefers to work alone on projects won’t be able to excel in a workplace that values collaboration.
- A candidate that requires direction and guidance may not suit a fast paced startup where employees are expected to take more initiative.
- A leader who emphasizes command and control over decision-making might have issues in a holacratic management environment where all employees get a say.
Luckily one can find a wealth of advice online about culture fit assessment. Let’s get down to the interview questions to assess culture fit.
Here are 50 of the best interview questions to assess culture fit:
- What gets you excited about coming to work?
- What was the last really great book you read?
- What surprises people about you?
- If you were going to start your own business, what would it be?
- What’s the biggest problem in most offices today?
- What did you like most/least about your last company?
- Where/when/how do you do your best work?
- When was the last time you made a big mistake at work?
- How could a manager best support you?
- Describe the best/worst team-building exercise you have ever participated in.
- How do you handle stress or tight deadlines?
- What are your plans for the next five years?
- What three things do you need to succeed in this position?
- What kind of events do you attend outside of work hours?
- What blogs or websites do you visit regularly?
- How would you describe your group of friends?
- What do you do for fun?
- Are you still friends with any previous colleagues?
- How have you changed over the last five years?
- What motivates you to do your best work?
- How do you prefer to communicate with coworkers?
- What has been the most valuable lesson of your professional career?
- Describe your dream job.
- What does a successful company culture look like to you?
- What most appeals to you about this role?
- How will this role challenge you?
- Who inspires you and why?
- How would you describe our company culture?
- What superpower will you bring to our company?
- How do you give/respond to critique?
- What three words would a current manager/colleague/direct report use to describe you?
- What has been the greatest disappointment of your life to date?
- How do you handle disappointments?
- If you do not get this position, what will be your next career move?
- What tools or apps allow you to work more efficiently?
- Which of our company’s core values do you most/least identify with?
- What does work-life balance mean to you?
- What charities are you passionate about?
- How do you manage conflict with coworkers?
- Describe a time when you exceeded people’s expectations.
- What role does kindness/empathy/humour play at work?
- What does your decision-making process look like?
- If you were to interview for another position at this company, what would it be?
- When is the last time you took a risk professionally?
- Would you rather work alone or with a team?
- How would you describe your leadership style?
- What would be your ideal work schedule?
- How do you stay organised?
- What would you change about our office/website/hiring process/business model?
- Why did you choose to apply here?
- HR’s Best Kept Secrets to Hiring the Right People
- 7 Habits for Highly Effective Hiring
- Actionable Insights for Conducting a Video Interview
Over to you
There you have it, 50 of the best interview questions to assess culture fit for your new candidates. Use these questions to drill down into the way a candidate works. The perfect candidate will not only fulfill the job qualifications but will meld with the rest of the team as well.
If you’re growing your team and want to manage your talent more effectively, Rise can help. Request a demo to see the platform for yourself and learn how Rise can help you grow your business.